The church is a fine Georgian building, listed at Grade II*, and the second oldest Anglican church in Bradford. The church was built in local sandstone ashlar as a private chapel in 1766 in the Grecian Style for the Richardson family at Bierley Hall (demolished 1968). John Carr of York (The Crescent, Buxton and Harewood House) designed the church. An extension was added to the north side in the 19th Century in keeping with the Georgian style of the original chapel. English Heritage has funded maintenance work on this ‘little gem’.
The building was enlarged 1828 and 1831. The church was commissioned by Richard Richardson of Bierley Hall as an estate chapel. It was only consecrated in 1824. A small but finely detailed classical. “barn”.
The north transept and west porch were added 1828 and 1831. The west front pediment is surmounted by a graceful bell turret with engaged Tuscan columns, small dome and short obelisk spire with weathervane. Three bay side elevations with arched windows shallowly recessed for one order. Plat band at impost level carried right round the building. The east end has a Venetian window, with blind side lights. The 3 bay west front has a shallow 2 storey arched recess to centre containing a corniced plaque with guttae set above the Gibbs surround doorway. The latter is screened by a Tuscan double columned porch added circa 1823. Plain, revealed glazing bar sashes flank on ground floor and square blank panels at first floor level above plat band. Oculus in pediment. The north transept is detailed in the same manner as the original. Inside has very restrained classical mouldings. The west gallery with delicate balustrade breaking forward to centre over internal porch of 6 Tuscan columns. A similar balustrade to gallery in north transept, supported on cast iron columns. The pulpit rests on the original font stem, octagonal bowl with set of panels added in 1905. Two large C18 paintings flank the Altar which were from Wibsey Chapel (now Holy Trinity Low Moor) in the 18th century!